Aging of the skin is characterized by:
- Thinning of the epidermal layer and reduction in the rate of cell regeneration
- Flattening of the dermo-epidermal junction
- Altered dermal collagen and elastin, leading to loss of skin elasticity
- Increased size of sebaceous glands and pores but decreased functionality resulting in decreased natural skin moisture
- Hollowing and wrinkling of facial areas caused by diminished elasticity and slow loss or displacement of underlying fatty tissue
How Does Skin Age Over Time?
One major cause of aged skin is sun exposure. To help protect yourself from sun exposure use sunscreen with an SPF 30 or higher, wear protective clothing and stay away from the sun when it is strongest (usually in the middle of the day). Also, smoking and tanning beds can contribute to damaged/aged skin.
There are many different skin types and skin concerns to be aware of. Some people may age quicker than others and produce more wrinkles than others on their face, under their eyes, or on their necks. Incorporating an anti-aging skincare into your daily skincare routine will heighten your distinguished beauty. ALASTIN has developed clinically proven products that improve the appearance and smooth fine lines, diminish puffiness, promote even skin tone, and support the production of new, healthy elastin and collagen.
Talk to your doctor if you have concerns about aged skin or questions about potential treatment options, which could include injectables, laser treatments, radiofrequency treatments, microneedling, ultrasound treatments, topical skin care, or surgery.