Men’s Skincare Tips
You may have seen memes floating around the Internet joking about the beauty industry, pointing out…
For Men: this can be used as a shampoo, body wash, face wash, lotion, mouth wash, toothpaste, engine degreaser, spackle, or sunscreen.
For Women: we’ve specially formulated this moisturizer for your left elbow.
It’s not a huge secret that there is a pretty wide gap in how many personal care products are made and marketed towards men as compared to women. But the truth is, that men care just as much about how they look as women do.
The discrepancy, however, is that men historically haven’t been as willing to invest, both time and money, into maintaining their appearance, for fear of what culture or other men might think. But those ways of thinking are gone so let’s dive into some practical skincare tips for men.
9 Practical Skincare Tips for Men
Men’s skincare needs are different than women’s; here are some helpful skincare tips for men for better, healthier-looking skin.
Men’s Skincare Tips for Shaving
- Against the grain is not the answer: most men shave in the opposite direction of hair growth for the closest shave, however, this can cause inflammation and irritation, so experts recommend shaving in the same direction as hair growth to avoid deeper issues later. For more tips on male grooming, check out GQ’s Body Grooming Guide.
- Water is your razor’s friend: don’t make the mistake of shaving your face with dry skin; this can cause friction leading to increased chances of cuts, acne, and ingrown hairs - no thank you! When your face is wet however, the hair and skin are more soft and supple, making it easier to shave.
- Don’t be cheap: stop buying cheap razors guys, seriously. On average men shave about fives times a week; a quality razor designed for your skin sensitivity and beard coarseness, can last you a lifetime. Many men make the mistake of buying cheap, drug-store razors with multiple blades (more must mean better right?), but you’re more likely to get razor burn or ingrown hairs with extra blades because they pull the hairs below the skin a little too deep.
Tips for Healthier-looking Skin for Men
- Zits happen: men on average tend to have more oily skin than women simply because testosterone stimulates sebum production in the hair follicles, which can cause acne breakouts. For this reason, men especially should look for oil-free and non-comedogenic skincare like a Gentle Cleanser that is formulated for sensitive skin. Other ways to avoid breakouts is to limit sugar which causes inflammation and wash your face after your sweat-inducing work-outs both of which can lead to unwanted acne and zits.
- Fragrance-free doesn’t always mean fragrance-free: after-shaves are often guilty of this; the label may say “fragrance-free” but they can use what is called masking fragrances to cover up a fragrance. Instead opt for skincare for “sensitive skin”, like a light, oil-free moisturizer applied to the skin when it is still damp for best results.
- Don’t shy away from skincare procedures: popular, and proven, skincare procedures like microneedling, IPLs, laser resurfacing can go a long way to keep a man’s skin looking younger and healthier especially when paired with powerhouse procedure-enhancing skincare like the ALASTIN Skincare Regenerating Skin Nectar with TriHex Technology®. As a matter of fact, men love this dual purpose procedure enhancement-anti-aging product so much, they use it for daily skincare! Or for those looking to enhance their body with procedures like CoolSculpting® or other fat-freezing or energy-based skin tightening procedures, body skincare like the award-winning TransFORM Body Treatment with TriHex Technology® makes a great addition to your skincare regimen for optimal results.
How Men Can Avoid Fine Lines and Wrinkles
- Limit sun exposure: most women by their mid-thirties have figured this out, but men may not realize that even those distinguished lines starting to form on your face will soon turn into unwanted deep wrinkles that can take you from distinguished to old. The solution is to wear sunscreen every day. Yup, year-round, just make it part of your morning routine.
- Twinkle, without the wrinkle: on the topic of wrinkles, men should have a great eye cream in their skincare arsenal. Men love the ALASTIN Skincare Restorative Eye Treatment with TriHex Technology® because “it goes on smooth” and helps to “reduce wrinkles” according to male reviewers - read more reviews for Restorative Eye Treatment.
- Add retinol to your routine: stave off fine lines and wrinkles early, even in your twenties, to boost cell growth and collagen production to improve your skin tone and fight back against wrinkles.
At the end of the day, we all want to put our best selves forward, men and women. These practical and everyday skincare tips can go a long way to help the men in our lives enjoy healthy, youthful looking skin. Do you have any skincare tips for men? Share with us on Instagram or Facebook!
Stay In The Glow!
Join the A-List to stay in the glow with the latest beauty and skincare trends, products, and procedures.